web science-2019讨论区

Group 18: questions about Session 1

Picture of Yilin Wang
Group 18: questions about Session 1
by Yilin Wang - Monday, 20 May 2019, 6:14 PM

Here , you are free to talk about the problems you meet while learning Session 1.

Picture of Yilin Wang
回复: Group 18: questions about Session 1
by Yilin Wang - Monday, 20 May 2019, 7:48 PM

As no one has answered my question, I'd like to talk about my feelings after seeing the video ( so embarrassing). The course invited two professors and one of them is a sociologist, which surprises me. It reminds me that CS is not merely a technology, it is something about people and society. Our Chinese students often tend to ignore this and we usually focus on how to make a progress in coding or algorithm. It may be wrong sometimes. We who take coding as a career should always keep an eye on what the society truly need. However, we right now  prefer to create something new but have less practical value. It go too far away from the original purpose of creating a Internet. 
Picture of 彭钰 侯
by 彭钰 侯 - Monday, 20 May 2019, 9:27 PM

After learning this session, first I found that the complexity of a network often varies depends on different types of network. Also, I found that there are so many ways of evaluating a network and analyzing its nodes, and different methods often retruns different outcomes. But, analyzing a network using only one aspect is never enough, so that brings us the reality of analyzing complex networks in real life, is to gather all the information, and systematically figure out different aspects of the network, then you can draw a conclusion. Also, the fact that our social life are connected like a network and the two of us has a average jump needed is six, just blew my mind. I guess networking is not just important in computer science, but also in everyday life, in industry, and more. 

Picture of 茜 郑
by 茜 郑 - Monday, 20 May 2019, 10:20 PM

Because of the beginning of the Web at CERN, the web was mainly designed for security and speed. And it is also developing the features for better. Now the web is used widely by our ordinary people, and is not only for information exchange and connection, it has been developing different kinds of functions. Therefore I think the needs stimulates the progress of web.  We can chat with others in the other side of the earth, we can buy anything without going out, and so on. All of these is base on web and web's development is promoted by human needs to a certain degree. Cause the web is designed to service our human, no matter how it develops, its aim won't change, and I think these who participate in web just need to catch society's hobbies. 
Picture of 伦鹏 文
by 伦鹏 文 - Monday, 20 May 2019, 10:55 PM

I have to say it’s an innovative work to do the network analysis (technical as well I suppose). I used to think that nets are just things for us to get the information we want, enabled by a pile of protocols (and I don’t even know how they work). However, this lecture makes me know that once we draw out the network, we can do analysis, like evaluating the ’power’ of nodes. And by evaluating form different aspects, we can even get different results. But what impressed me most is that the analysis we made might implicate the hidden information, and that needs a good brain to connect the statistics and the reason that caused them. Maybe the next step is to figure out how to find more information behind the network, no matter in a mathematical or sociological way (and other subjects might also have related).

Picture of 之焱 王
by 之焱 王 - Monday, 20 May 2019, 11:49 PM

What I am most interested in is that the origin of World Wide Web is CERN, which is a place for scientists to study particle physics. So we can believe that at the beginning the invention of the Web is to improve the efficiency of scientific research. But now, we can see that every aspect of life is inseparable from the Web. And with the development of science , the network is becoming more and more intelligent. So maybe we can think about what functions the future network will have that seem totally unimaginable, and maybe we can think about what we can do to make that vision come true.