web science-2019讨论区

Group 19:Discussion about session2

Picture of 浩 张
Group 19:Discussion about session2
by 浩 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 2:22 PM

Now students in group 19 can discuss about session 2.

Picture of 垂禹 孔
回复: Group 19:Discussion about session2
by 垂禹 孔 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 3:25 PM

My opinion about question 1 :

From the structure of the network, I think the number of connections that nodes have in the network is the best measure, because having more connections means having more ability to influence the function of the network.

Picture of 媛媛 郭
by 媛媛 郭 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 3:36 PM

The following is my summary after learning. In a simple social network, if we want to find that the most influential and powerful man, first of all, we should be aware of is that the most powerful man the decisions must have had the greatest influence, followed by his association with others, he has the ability and power of each and every one to communicate with the network, in addition, he also can be to limit the power of the other members.

Picture of 垂禹 孔
by 垂禹 孔 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 3:42 PM

In my opinion, the measurement standard of the network depends on the function of the network. For example, in the electric network, the closer the nodes are to the power supply, the more influence the power transmission will have.But for the information release network, the node information flow appears to be more important.

Picture of 浩 张
by 浩 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 8:29 PM

I think these analyses are not a good way to measure power and influence in a social group, because these methods simply indicate who has more connections with whom, but it does not explain the impact, many influential people, Less contact, but the words spoken are very influential.

Picture of 泓锦 成
by 泓锦 成 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 8:37 PM

If we want to find someone with power, we have a lot of judgments. The first is to communicate the relationship between the locations in the network. The more people in the center, the greater the power. Second, the key. The interrelationships shown by the tasks in the course of work. The more important the work, the greater the power of this person. Third, flexibility. The number of freely determined in the process of decision making, work design, etc., the more the number, the more power. Fourth, relevance. The relationship between tasks and highly defined organizational goals. The closer the relationship with important goals, the greater his power.

Picture of 浩 张
by 浩 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 8:43 PM

Therefore, influenced by so many factors, it is impossible to comprehensively analyze who has the most power through these methods. I agree with your point of view.

Picture of 垂禹 孔
by 垂禹 孔 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 8:37 PM

yes,I can`t agree more.These analyses are for reference only.

Picture of 颜 储
by 颜 储 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:31 PM

I don't agree with you. Although these methods just indicate the connections of those people,  the methods are the result of big date analysis.They reflect and refer to the normal situation.So in my opinion, these analyses are useful.

Picture of 颜 储
by 颜 储 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:56 PM

By the way, that is my answer of Question 1.

Picture of 浩 张
by 浩 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 8:40 PM

Question 2: I think I will get different answers, because starting from the structure of the network, I just get contact and relationship with each other and can't get an accurate information. From the content of the information, I can fully consider different situations. Get accurate information, so you will get different responses.

Picture of 媛媛 郭
by 媛媛 郭 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:23 PM

From the network structure, the results can be obtained directly, but the detailed information cannot be obtained in detail. From information analysis, we can get specific information but do not have a general grasp of the whole. The results are completely different.

Picture of 颜 储
by 颜 储 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:13 PM

After learning this session, l aquired much knowledge.First and foremost,  I learned "Six Degrees of Separation", which means you can cross a network form one side to the other in a very small number of hops.Secondly, networks are a way of looking at the world.It is a powerful tool for Web Science and modeling and understanding how things are connected.Last but not least,  network analysis also gives us much convenience.

Picture of 媛媛 郭
by 媛媛 郭 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:17 PM

I think the best way to measure power is to compare the number of connections .As it has showed in the video,the other two ways got the.wrong result. 

Picture of YY JIu
by YY JIu - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:25 PM

Q1:I think the best measure of power is the second way,Because I think conversations in a social network can be very simple.If you want to discuss with somebody means you get some information from their conversation and you import this person so you want to give a reflection.

Picture of YY JIu

Question2:Yes,I would change my answer.After i analysed the content of the message.I

Would choose kelly be the most powerful person because her contents.Because everyone can talk to her with everything.And she is very kind that makes she be popular in social network.She also can get the information protagates through the network!

Picture of YY JIu

Question3:I think these analyses are a good way of measuring power and influence in a social group.This analyses are logical .But there also are other things should to be considered.if we can use the"Six Degrees of Separation" to analyze the power and influence in a social network that will be more interesting.Such as who can get the important information protagated to more strangers.

Picture of 媛媛 郭
by 媛媛 郭 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:29 PM

question 3.These methods can depict someone's power and influence on a large scale. But it is not possible to show the detailed relationship between each person in detail. If you change a contact in a social circle, it doesn't necessarily follow that the person with the most connections is the one with the most power and influence. It is also possible that this person belongs to the coolie class and only acts as a tool to connect the boss with ordinary people.

Picture of 颜 储
by 颜 储 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:47 PM

Question 2: I think I will get a different answer about it. In my opinion, the content of the messages just reflect the information they contained, we can't get the relationship about those messages.But if we analyze the structure, we can get more information about their correlations,  which means we can do it more concretely by this way.

Picture of 颜 储
by 颜 储 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 10:04 PM

Question 3: Of course these analyses are a good way of measuring power and influence in a social group. But in daily life, there are all kinds of situation, which may not suit the method. So it is suitable to find a distinct way to interpret a specific issue.