web science-2019讨论区

group7:discussion about session 1

Picture of 亚菁 王
group7:discussion about session 1
by 亚菁 王 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 9:20 PM

My partners in group7 can discuss here.Let's begin!

Picture of 亚菁 王
回复: group7:discussion about session 1
by 亚菁 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:28 AM

What do you think of the first question?In what ways did the beginnings of the Web at CERN (as a way of scientists sharing information) impact its design? 

I think the greatest design of the web at CERN is that it is open. The criterion of Berners-Lee is to achieve information transform, not to earn money. Because of this character, web was accepted quickly and spread to the whole world.

Picture of 秀莹 何
by 秀莹 何 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:48 AM

I agree with yajing.For the designers,this open platform provides them with great convenience,they can get the information they want quickly and comprehensively,and it's free.This also stimulates the learners' enthusiasm,it provides security for them.This greatly promated the growth of talents and spread of the web. 

Picture of 茵 魏
by 茵 魏 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:10 PM

In my opinion, the beginnings of the Web at CERN impact its design mainly by its original idea of sharing acadamic information. To be specific, It started off in one place with one condition to look after the needs of scientists who just wanted to share information and did't regard the privacy and intellectural property as  problems at all. At that time , getting information of scientific dicoveries or ahievement was of vital importance for scientists to do the further study. Nowadays, with development of the web and society, all kinds of information ,more than just academic, are shared all around the world through the web.

Picture of 琼 吴
by 琼 吴 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:29 PM

Through seeing the video,what impressed me most is the  web‘s origins at CERN(a nuclear research centre),it is designed for sharing information for scientists at the beginning .The design of web provide a open platform for  people to share and exchange information, because of that ,it support people to receive more different information ,connect people to the world.

Picture of 祉怡 张
by 祉怡 张 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:36 PM

I couldn’t agree with Weiyin more. And let’s move to the strengths and weaknesses of the internet. 

As for its strengths, firstly ,it facilitates data sharing. Nowadays ,we could timely send and search a variety of information , such as watching news and watching videos through multimedia technology. Secondly ,it improves our daily efficiency by cutting down the time of searching for information. Thirdly ,it provides a platform for netizens to display themselves. We can see a large number of host industries and net novelists throughout the internet.

However, there are also some disadvantages. Its convenience makes it easier for netizens to indulge in the network and terribly affects their personal spiritual temperament. For us teenagers, who are not mature enough, it seems even more dangerous. What’s worse, the network narrows the circle of communication and widens the distance between you and the people around you.

But I think through right ways of using the internet, we can make the best of this advance technology! 

Picture of 亚菁 王
by 亚菁 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 2:31 PM

I’d like to add that the web is used by people all around the world, so it is abundant .The Internet makes it very convenient to get and send information.It is widespread, fast and cheap. But these strengths could also become its weakness. There are a large amount of fake news on the web and it is difficult to distinguish them from true news. Some extreme ideas can spread fast and have serious consequences. Also, personal privacy violation is a big problem. I think we should take efforts to solve these problems.

Picture of RURONG JIA
by RURONG JIA - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:54 PM

CERN is the greatest organization of nuclear research. As we all know, nuclear and particle research is one of the most complex and cutting-edge part of scientific research, meaning that it demands high level of cooperation and intense communication. So scientists needed to find a way to connect the brain of global researchers, to accumulate the worldwide scientific outcomes and to promote academic level and look for breakthrough. 

Also, since there are galaxy of data need to be analyzed, computed and saved, the computer system must be advanced and of a really large scale. Therefore, in my opinion, the prosperity and capability of computer science and technology in CERN partly simulated the birth of World Wide Web, too.

Picture of 秀莹 何
by 秀莹 何 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:41 PM

The No.3 question is here!What alternative ways might the web have develop?

In my opinion,web will continue to develop in an open and inclusive manner.People also need such a network environment.As the David said"it's network to network",on the basis of order,it gets more and more complex,it's growing in scope.I think it will continue to evolve towards a focus on the techology base and users experience.

Picture of 琼 吴
by 琼 吴 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:51 PM

In my opinion, the web won’t be replaced in any way on the present and the future.People get accustomed to transmit and access to informationknowledge and other resources through this way.The original intention of web is to share ,the idea develops many things.It is the root of many technologies, network.

Picture of 秀莹 何
by 秀莹 何 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:59 PM

Yes!In this medorn society,web is indispensable for us,our life style is one kind of modern life style based on such modern techology. 

Picture of 祉怡 张
by 祉怡 张 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 3:38 PM

Now let’s turn to the future of the internet. As is mentioned in the book Internet Evolution Theory, ”cloud computing, Internet of Things, Mobile Internet and traditional Internet are organically combined”. And I think more and more information will be open for anyone to share. What’s more, software will be of greater importance, the variety of them will be considerable, with its functions getting more friendlier for human beings to use.  Last but not least, chances are that classes attached to databases  knowledge will be prosperous. My dear group mates, let’s embrace the fantastic future!

Picture of 茵 魏
by 茵 魏 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 8:57 PM

According to the speech from the professor ,  participation ,  knowledge sharing and trust will still be the hard problem for the web . And I think these problems will be the evolution directions.

To start with, We are supposed to noticed the participation problem. Nowadays more and more people have access to the web while a large number of people are still excluded from the web , for example ,  there are approximately 15 million people in UK who never use the web .Mayby with the promotion of the government ,the development of technology and the decrease in the web device prices, web will finally reach every corners of the country.

what's more, a wider spreading of knowledge will be expected in the future , which probably means that news, papers, discoveries from foreign coutries will become more easily accessible .

Last but not least, as the web expands and opens, the concern about information safty  tend to be a widespread social phenomenon. It's inevitable for individuals, companies, governments to raise their awareness of information protection and to come up with some complicated measures to deal with the information crime .However , once the limitation of the tolerance for the distrust or the ceaseless defence is reached , an evolution of trust on web will certainly break out.

Picture of 秀莹 何
by 秀莹 何 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:25 PM

I agree with you.And for us,the student major in computer science,what we should do and what we can do for it's development is study hard and ensure our direction of work,we need keep improving ourselves and keep upgrading professional skills,under the help of professional teachers and schoolmates.And if we have some ideas,don't give up and try to achieve them as much as we can.I believe through our work together,it will be a bright future.The future is ours to create. 

Picture of 亚菁 王
by 亚菁 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:59 PM

As we know, AI is developing very fast nowadays. Computers are becoming more and more intelligent .Is there any possibility that in the future not only human beings ,but also robots are participating in the web? With robots managing web together, what will be network like? Will it be safer or danger? What’s more, maybe in the future, virtual network will be connected more closely to the real life. VR, AR will have a wider application.

Picture of 琼 吴
by 琼 吴 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:53 PM

Now let’s talk about something about the next question:What is the direction of Web evolution? What might the Web look like in ten years time?

For this question,I think Web will be more connective and more intelligent,but it also raises a great challenge for security.  In ten years time,I believe the security and efficiency of web will be have greatly improved.And based on web,there will be more new technologies to satisfy the needs of the current human society.

Picture of RURONG JIA
by RURONG JIA - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 11:59 PM

As for the evolution of web, in my opinion, the future of web must cater for the need and the security of people. There are still lots of problems needed to be solved in the next decades, and one of the most important question is to protect the privacy and the data security of people, so we need more advanced tech to solve the problem.