web science-2019讨论区

Group 15:Session 2

Picture of 一新 刘
Group 15:Session 2
by 一新 刘 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:05 PM

Let’s discuss about the three problems .

Picture of 一新 刘
回复: Group 15:Session 2
by 一新 刘 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:06 PM

For the first question,I think the first measure is the best.Just because if one person is the best connected,he is able to send and get messages from the other .Although in this example Dan haven’t sent or got emails as many as Henry or Kelly,but he is in an advantageous position.What do you think about it?

Picture of 沐歌 王
by 沐歌 王 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:12 PM

I agree with you.In my opinion the propagation and conversations is only part of the connections.

Picture of 雨璇 周
by 雨璇 周 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:15 PM

I think Social network researchers measure network activity for a node by using the concept of degrees -- the number of direct connections a node has. 

Picture of 启帆 孟
by 启帆 孟 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:16 PM

i agree with you

Picture of 若溪 张
by 若溪 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:20 PM

I agree what you said. And I have one point to add. When Dan is connecting with others, he Always send Messages to others. So we can know that he is the Person to command.

Picture of 一新 刘
by 一新 刘 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:18 PM

For the second question,my answer is “No” without doubt.If we analyse the content of the messages,we’ll find that Dan had sent a few messages,but most of them is about work,or commanding something.What’s your opinions?

Picture of 启帆 孟
by 启帆 孟 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:22 PM

but Kelly has received the most emails, so can we make a conxlusion that KELLY is the most powerful person?

Picture of 若溪 张
by 若溪 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:27 PM

I think in our daily lives, the most powerful man is a Person to command rather than a Person to Gather Information. So in that case, I guess KELLY is not the most powerful Person. I think the Person is Dan.

Picture of 若溪 张
by 若溪 张 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:47 PM

I think there is a better way. A boss should be the central of the whole Company, so I make a mathemetic model to describe it. First, we define connecting Level as if A Needs to communicate with B, how many Person in the middle he Needs to get through at least. Calculate  A and every other Person in the Company 's connecting Level seperately, and choose the maximum, we call it one's out central degree. If one's out central Degree is the lowest, then he might be the boss.

Picture of 雨璇 周
by 雨璇 周 - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:50 PM

Not all network paths are created equal. More and more research shows that the shorter paths in the network are more important.Networks operate via direct and indirect, shortest and near-shortest paths.

Picture of 启帆 孟
by 启帆 孟 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:00 AM

but i think it maybe with regard to its structure,like a chain or a net?

Picture of 沐歌 王
by 沐歌 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:10 AM

If it is a chain,you even can't recognize which side is the boss without the content of the massages...The content is another important and specific aspect we should consider and its inflence is what you are saying.
Picture of 若溪 张
by 若溪 张 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:17 AM

First, my model is dealing the net used to communicate. Second, a structure like a chain may be a part of a hole orangnization, but it is hard to be the structure of the organization. Net is the Major structure, although there are lots of different nets, because there are Always a few Administrators who have more than one lower-level. 

If a net can be measured by the model, then the majority of the Problem can be solved, or Maybe all can be solved.

Picture of 一新 刘
by 一新 刘 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:04 AM

I think these analyses is good ways,but not the best way.As the teacher said “in  the best position doesn’t necessarily mean you’re the most powerful”.Someone may not use Twitter so ofen,but he can be a powerful one.

Picture of 雨璇 周
by 雨璇 周 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 12:19 AM

"the more connections, the better." This is not always so. What really matters is where those connections lead to -- and how they connect the otherwise unconnected!