web science-2019讨论区

Group12: Discussion about Section 2

Picture of 泽平 俞
Group12: Discussion about Section 2
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 5:35 PM

Hello everyone, now we are free to discuss the question here. The question are:

1.Of the three we introduced which is the best measure of power in this network?
2.Would you get a different answer if you analysed the content of the messages, rather than the structure of the network?
3.Do you think these analyses are a good way of measuring power and influence in a social group? What might they miss?

Let's begin

Picture of 泽平 俞
回复: Group12: Discussion about Section 2
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:54 PM

First question ask us to choose which measure is the best one of this question. In my opinion I think we cannot choose a single one which is the best. Every measure has its advantage.

Picture of 锦波 胡
by 锦波 胡 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:55 PM

Yeah I think so. As the saying in the video, each measure is effective only in its own aspect. For example, if we definite the powerful as ‘position’, then the answer is the first measure, because through the analysis of the connection between people we can know who dominate this whole system.

Picture of 思科 王
by 思科 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:55 PM

Agreed. So we finish the question 1. Shall we begin the second question?

Picture of 锦波 胡
by 锦波 胡 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:56 PM

Sure.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:57 PM

The second question is would you get a different answer if you analysed the content of the messages, rather than the structure of the network? What do you guys think?

Picture of 思科 王
by 思科 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:57 PM

Probably I think Clare is the most powerful one in this group. It’s kind of real ‘powerful’, like the boss. Because if we focus the content of the messages, from the message at 1350 which Clare said ’@Dan I’m back from the sales pitch, when can I update you?’, and that maybe means ‘when can I inform you the things?’ She spoke in boss-way.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:58 PM

lol. Just looking at that saying, I think so. It’s definitely a boss-way.

Picture of 锦波 胡
by 锦波 胡 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:58 PM

Yeah…but maybe she is just an employee who need to submit her works to boss (Dan).

Picture of 思科 王
by 思科 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:59 PM

Oh that is also a possibility. It depends.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:59 PM

Agreed. It depends.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 9:59 PM

Now the third question is coming: Do you think these analyses are a good way of measuring power and influence in a social group? What might they miss?

Picture of 思科 王
by 思科 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:00 PM

Actually I don’t think it’s a very good way. I think these data or structures can reflect some information of this network, but it’s not sufficient. For example, the third measure, I think it’s not quite enough to describe the interaction between these system members.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:00 PM

Yeah I think probably some ‘@’ are non-sense. Maybe those ‘@’ just a one-way talk, it’s not a conversation, or interaction. Maybe someone just talk talk talk, but no one answer it. Or someone just @ @ @.

Picture of 锦波 胡
by 锦波 胡 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:00 PM

Oh I didn’t notice that before. It’s reasonable. Ummmmm maybe we can definite a new measure or enhance this measure. For example, we can definite a measure which equal the number of being ‘@’ after he send a message dividing how many messages he has sent, which can tell us which is the man who has the powerful words. Also we can have a measure about the average numbers of how many connections your friends have, which equal all the connection your friends have dividing the connection you have. It can indicate the potential influence a person in a network.

Picture of 思科 王
by 思科 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:01 PM

That’s good idea. I think as the question 2 asking, they might ignore the content of the message. It also a big deal of the measure of who is the powerful guy there. But it’s a little bit difficult for a computer to realize what they talk about, so it’s hard to calculate by the machine.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:01 PM

Yeah. So it’s hard to do data statistic. It’s reasonable to be ignored. 

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:02 PM

Now we finish all the question. Let’s talk about the feelings or advantage got in this whole study process. As for me, it’s really helpful to learn things about network, no matter work, or life, or study. It can give us an intuitive way to look at a complicated system. Of course in computer science there will be a plenty of things need to use what we learn about network. But actually my major is physics. In physics, there are a lot of complicated things or system, which can be simplified by what we learn this time. On the other hand, I learn a lot of properties of the network, which will benefit a lot in the study of the computer science.

Picture of 锦波 胡
by 锦波 胡 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:03 PM

Probably the most significant benefit I get is I know more about the network. Not only about the knowledge, but also I have some sort of deeper thinking. I know the property, I know the structure, I know those therom. Also I know how to make the network simple, how to get what I need from the network, and how I can improve the network. And all of these will benefit the future study in physics and computer. Besides, thanks to these videos and pdfs, I feel that my English skill has been improved a lot, because they speak English in the videos and do not have the Chinese subtitles, which means I need to do a lot of work about translation and researching.

Picture of 思科 王
by 思科 王 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:03 PM

Differently I prefer to say something about the discussion. Because my major is computer science, which is different from you two. And due to this, I find that we may have various thinking about a same question. The reason may be the difference of aspects. And probably I emphasize the efficiency about the measure, while you guys focus on the definition or the logical correctness. I think each way to think a question is important. We cannot say which is worse and which is better. Otherwise, finishing the study on web, I find that online course is a brilliant thing. Compared with the traditional class, online course have the advantage of acquiring and you can repeat and repeat if you don’t understand something. Also the online course is very concise.

Picture of 泽平 俞
by 泽平 俞 - Thursday, 23 May 2019, 10:05 PM

WOW! We finished all the task. Well done guys!