China Scholarship Council – The University of Manchester
Joint Scholarship Programme for PhD Study within the Faculty of Science and Engineering
1. The University of Manchester signed the agreement with The China Scholarship Council （中国国家留学基金委）on September 10, 2015 to jointly provide 9 PhD scholarships per year in the Faculties of Science and Engineering (3), Biology, Medicine and Health (3), and Humanities (3). （涉及自然科学和工程、生物、医学和健康以及人文）
2.For each joint CSC-UoM scholarship, CSC is responsible for stipend and UoM is responsible for the tuition fees. （国家留学基金委资助奖学金，曼彻斯特大学负责资助学费）
3.The University received from the China Scholarship Council the amendment of the agreement on November 23, 2016, in which CSC proposed to increase the annual number of joint scholarships from 9 to 30, starting from September 2017. （2017年9月开始，联合培养博士研究生名额增加到30人）
4.The amendment is currently under review by the University’s contract office and is expected to be signed by both parties in December 2016. The indicative annual number of scholarships is 18 for the Faculty of Science and Engineering, 6 for the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, and 6 for the Faculty of Humanities.
5.The objective for FSE is to offer the scholarships to support our ambition to expand PGR numbers by the recruitment of outstanding PhD students.
6.The UoM part of the scholarship is a tuition fee waiver by FSE. Hence the Schools in FSE do not need to budget for the payment of the tuition fees of successful candidates. Note, however, that these students do not count towards the overseas target numbers in your budget.
7.The majority of candidates are expected to be MSc graduates or outstanding BSc degree holders from the best Chinese Universities (Appendix 1 provides a list of these). Ideally all candidates should have published at least one journal paper and international conference papers.
8.The FSE supervisor should provide written justification of the project, in particular, how it will generate journal publications during their PhD studies.
9.All candidates must be recommended by a School PGR director prior to a competitive selection system organised by the Faculty.
Appendix 1 list of best Chinese universities
- Tsinghua University 清华大学
- Peking University 北京大学
- Fudan University 复旦大学
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University 上海交通大学
- University of Science and Technology of China 中国科学技术大学
- Zhejiang University 浙江大学
- Harbin Institute of Technology 哈尔滨工业大学
- Sun Yat-sen University 中山大学
- Xian Jiao Tong University 西安交通大学
- Beijing Normal University 北京师范大学
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology 华中科技大学
- Jilin University 吉林大学
- Nanjing University 南京大学
- Sichuan University 西川大学
- Soochow University 苏州大学
- South China University of Technology 华南理工大学
- Southeast University 东南大学
- Xiamen University 厦门大学
- Beihang University 北京航空航天大学
- Central South University 中南大学
- China Agricultural University 中国农业大学
- China University of Geosciences (Wuhan) 中国地质大学（武汉）
- Dalian University of Technology 大连理工大学
- East China University of Science and Technology 华东理工大学
- Lanzhou University 兰州大学
- Nankai University 南开大学
- Shandong University 山东大学
- Tianjin University 天津大学
- Tongji University 同济大学
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China 中国电子科技大学
- Wuhan University 武汉大学
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology 北京化工大学
- Hunan University 湖南大学
- Nanjing University of Science and Technology 南京理工大学
Student applies to School in normal way (see guidance to students below).
When application comes to the School (hopefully the supervisor is already aware) the School should gather all CSC applications and make sure that they meet the above criteria (section 7, above). Note the use of usually and normally to allow for exceptional but unusual cases. Note, however, that you can expect the criteria to be applied unless you can make a good argument to the contrary (e.g. maybe the University is not in the top 20 overall but is recognised as top in China for a specific subject area – note CSC will know whether this is correct!)
The supervisor needs to justify the research project (and student), in terms of ability to produce high quality journal papers.
The PGR Director must check that all criteria are met and the supervisor’s justification has been well made.
The applications for the CSC-UoM scheme should be forwarded to the Faculty’s Graduate Education Office by the 15th February, 2017.
Faculty will decide on the 18 names to provide to CSC.
Students are informed and given an offer letter (4 years duration instead of 3 years to allow students to be awarded 4 year CSC stipend) to enable them to apply to CSC.
Application Process for China Scholarship Council (students)
1. Students should ideally identify their chosen topic and supervisor (e.g. via School websites).
2. Ideally they should contact the potential supervisor (via email) and begin a discussion about their suitability for research and the mutual interests of the student and supervisor – they need to develop a research plan.
3. At some stage during this process the student should complete the UoM online application form. They should indicate their chosen School and Supervisor, and where the form asks about funding they should indicate that they wish to apply for “UoM-CSC PhD Scholarship”.
Note: at stage 2, or at stage 3 if the student has not yet had discussions with the supervisor, the student may be directed to an alternate (more suitable) supervisor for the work the student wishes to undertake.
4. If the supervisor agrees that the student is suitable for their project, the student’s application and project details will be forwarded to the Faculty, where a selection of 18 students for the CSC-UoM agreement is made.
5. The student will be given an offer letter and then has to apply to CSC in the normal way.
6. The University via its international office will forward the names of their chosen candidates to CSC for approval and funding.
7. If the student is not selected for the CSC-UoM scheme then the School may still choose to support the student in an application to CSC (the student will receive an offer letter to permit this). If the student’s application to CSC is independently successful they will still be able to study at UoM.